This inner city church is an important local landmark, built in a stripped Gothic style. The interior retains its spatial quality with some good fittings.
The Brownroyd area of Bradford grew rapidly during the second half of the 19th century due to the influx of mill workers, many of them Catholics. In response, the parishes of St Patrick’s and St Cuthbert’s jointly built a school chapel on Bingley Street, dedicated to St William. Mass was first celebrated here in 1882. After a period of closure the chapel re-opened in 1902 and Fr Patrick MacMahon became the first parish priest in 1909. He developed the present large church and presbytery, built to designs from Edward Simpson & Son, and dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes and St William. Bishop Cowgill laid the foundation stone in 1924. The sanctuary was re- ordered in 1971 to designs by D. Chambers, replacing the 1930 fittings. The church was finally consecrated 1952.
The church fronts onto the busy inner ring road and is surrounded by industrial and business premises; it is the only building of note in the area.